Bella Vista Babelfish
Reviews and Discussions by Movers and Shakers. Join us for the FUN!

Home » Town Hall » Northeast Oklahoma » Skyline Park
Show: Today's Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
E-mail to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Skyline Park [message #88831] Sat, 28 August 2021 16:07
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Chancellor

Ever heard about Skyline Park in Tulsa?

It was very popular with Tulsans in the 1960s. It was actually just south and east of Jenks, which was itself just south of Tulsa. So not a far drive for anyone from Tulsa.

I moved to Tulsa as a child in 1972, so by the time I got there, it was already past its prime. By then, everyone was going to Bells Amusement Park. Skyline had just been shut down at that time, so I never got to go.

But during high school, I ventured out to where the old Skyline Park had been. I could still see the roller-coaster - missing a section of track - and many of the old installations like the foundations for many rides, picnic tables and a diving board platform. It was kind of creepy to see the old abandoned park, growing over with weeds.

Naturally, everyone had a ghost story about the park. Some said the roller-coaster was damaged by a tornado. Others said it broke during a ride, killing people. That is indeed true of another Tulsa amusement park - Bells - which I mentioned earlier. It did, in fact, have an accident that caused the death of a 14-year-old boy.

I looked around on the internet to see if I could learn the truth about that Skyline Park roller-coaster. All I found was the same two rumors of years past - Some saying a tornado did it and others saying an accident happened that took the life of a child.

Does anyone here know? Do you remember?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Next Topic: Turkey Mountain Petroglyphs
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ] [ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:33:00 CDT 2024